<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 22, 2004


"I'D BEEN SET UP" - TRANSCRIPT OF THE BILL CLINTON INTERVIEW WITH THE BBC 


Tries to blame the first President Bush for policy of "containment" with Saddam Hussein; Blames everyone but himself for lying about Lewinsky the in the Paula Jones case; disputes whether oral sex is really sex

Click here to view a transcript of the BBC Panorama interview between David Dimbleby and Bill Clinton

The transcript of this interview epitomizes how Bill Clinton wasted 8 years of a presidency due to his selfish, corrupt and criminal interests. He is more concerned with scoring points against perceived enemies and perpetuating lies in order to satisfy his obliging and gullible sycophants.

Bill Clinton did not have the courage to stand up for America on the world stage. He was more concerned with short-term popularity than in doing the right thing to protect America. His own words below indicate that he was afraid to take risks after the American embassies were bombed in Africa. He could offer no discernible policy and ideas about Iraq other than to criticize his predecessor and successor. Clinton only cares about himself and, therefore, did not have the capacity to care enough about America to protect the country when he was president.


Note: Anything in bold or italics are my commentary and not part of the transcript

ON KEN STARR... (Theme: Ken Starr is the most evil man in America; This is when Clinton gets his angriest during the interview)
CLINTON: And, and let me just say this. One of the
reasons he got away with it is because people like you
only ask people like me the questions. You gave him a
complete free ride. Any abuse they wanted to do, they
indicted all these little people from Arkansas, what did
you care about them, they’re not famous, who cares that
their life were trampled. Who cares that their children
are humiliated. Who cares if Starr sends FBI agents to
their school, and rip them out of their school to humiliate
them, and try to force their parents to lie about me. Who
cares if he sends a woman like Susan McDougal in to
Hannibal Lector like cell and makes her wear a uniform
worn only by murderers and child molesters. Nobody in
your line of work cared a rip about that at the time. Why,
because he was helping their story.
[...]
And that’s why people like you always help the Far
Right cos you like to hurt people, and you like to talk
about how bad people are and all their personal failings,
and (David interjects) and that’s why you. Look, just –
you made a decision to allocate your time in a certain
way. You should take responsibility for that. You should
say yes, I care much more about this than whether the
Bosnian people were saved, and whether he bought a
million people home from Kosovo, than whether twenty
seven million people had jobs at the end, and whether we
moved a hundred times as many people out of poverty as
Regan and Bush. This is what I care about.

On Monica Lewinsky... (he does not detail the relationship - only the aftermath - in his book, so he lies, again - and if he did discuss it in the book, why refuse to discuss it interview?)

DIMBLEBY: What you were doing. Did you
think it was risky?

CLINTON: I don’t know that I, I don’t – I can’t answer
that. I don’t know what I thought about it. (interjects)
It didn’t last very long and … and the accounts are not
entirely accurate of what did happen; so I don’t want to
talk about that. I’ve said, all I have to say about that in
the book. I’m not saying any more about that.

On Oral Sex...
DIMBLEBY: You’ve explained the background to
it and how you felt that this was really a private
matter and was wrongly exposed publicly, but one
thing people were puzzled by, which was when you
said you hadn’t had a sexual relationship with
Lewinsky, did you seriously, when you said that, not
consider oral sex to be a sexual relationship.

CLINTON: First of all I never discuss what did or
didn’t happen; so you only have one side of what
happened. I don’t believe in discussing it and won’t.
Secondly, did you read the instructions I was given?

DIMBLEBY: Which instructions?

CLINTON: Well, keep in mind we were, I testified
very differently to the Grand Jury, than I did in the civil
deposition. I was given the most bizarre definition of
sexual definition – er, relations, which the lawyers said
for, the Republican lawyers that were going after me, said
they did to spare me embarrassment. Then, my lawyer,
and then I personally, I personally asked those lawyers if
they wanted to ask me a specific question and they said
‘No’. And then, they claimed that I had lied in the
deposition, because I had answered no to this contorted
definition they gave me, which to this day, I still believe
is the right answer.

DIMBLEBY: So you’ve never said you had oral
sex, or she did oral sex on you. That’s what …

CLINTON: (overlaps) I’ve never answered that one way
or the other.

DIMBLEBY: Right.

CLINTON: I answered questions in the grand jury
about what I thought the definition meant. But you
know, I wasn’t, keep in mind, at the time I went through
that deposition, I wasn’t in the business of helping them,
and I wasn’t supposed to help them, because they knew
the law suit - that gave them the power to ask me these
questions - was a total fraud. They knew it. And the judge
threw it out. They knew that the theory on which they
were asking me these questions was a total fraud. They
knew there had never been any sexual harassment, and
they knew something I didn’t know, which is that they
had gotten Kenneth Starr involved in the case, for total
political reasons.

On 9/11 Commission...
CLINTON: ...The Commission told me when I met with them for
four hours that they had actually made a finding that none of my
personal challenges or the impeachment thing had any
impact on the decisions that I made or didn’t make as
President, which I was gratified by.

On Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda... (Said he wouldn't invade Afghanistan after Embassy bombings because the world would have thought America was "crazy." He didn't want to work hard at convincing the rest of the world about pre-emption or protecting our own interests. So, according to Clinton's logic, we could only defend ourselves AFTER we get attacked on our own soil!)
CLINTON: ...If you go all the way back to nineteen ninety three you
will see we were bringing terrorists back home, we were
preventing terrorist attacks, we prevented terrorist attacks
in the Holland Tunnel, the Lincoln Tunnel, the UN
Building, the Los Angeles airport. We thwarted terrorist
attacks over the Millennium that were planned on
America in the Middle East. We broke up twenty Al
Qaeda cells. I came closer to getting Osama Bin Laden
with that air action in nineteen ninety eight that anybody
has since, apparently. Erm, I think the…the question is
could we have invaded Afghanistan based on the African
Embassy bombings? I don’t think so.

DIMBLEBY: Why not?

CLINTON: Well because, I mean in theory we could
have but we would have been all alone everybody would
have thought we were crazy based on that.

On Iraq... (Trying to pass the blame onto his predecessor, President George H. W. Bush. Bush kicked Iraq out of Iraq, that was the first step. The current President Bush carried out the last step of regime change. But, Bill Clinton hardly did anything about the important weapons inspection process. He let Saddam dismiss the inspectors).
DIMBLEBY: There’s a striking difference between
your attitude towards Saddam Hussein and Iraq and
that of your successor, the present President. Am I
right in thinking that you thought that containment
was the most effective way of restraining Saddam?

CLINTON: Well, that was the policy of the previous
Bush administration.

DIMBLEBY: And yours.

CLINTON: Yes. For most of the time I was there, the
idea was that his military is less than half the strength it
was in the first Gulf War, which is factually true. We had
these inspections going on and we were making progress
and we were getting the chemical and biological agents
and the laboratory capacity out of there and while he’s not
a good man he’s getting older and eh, as long as we don’t
lift the sanctions and let him rebuild his military power,
that eventually we’ll get a change there.

Then in ninety eight when Saddam kicked the inspectors
out to try to force us to lift the sanctions. Prime Minister
Blair and I bombed him for four days and we bombed the
sites where thought the chemical and biological materials
would be. Because we didn’t get the inspectors back in
we had no idea if we destroyed all of it, half of it, ten per
cent of it, none of it.

So then when President Bush went back to the UN, after
9/11, to demand that the inspectors be let in, I strongly
supported that.

When President Bush asked for authority for the Senate to
use force if Saddam didn’t cooperate with the UN, I
strongly supported that. My only difference and.. and.. I
adopted, in ninety eight, after we kicked the inspectors
out, a policy of regime change. I thought, well, we’re
never going to be ever to do any consistent business with
this guy. That’s different from invading him. You know, I
said we ought to support the opposition elements and just
keep working until we get a new leader.

So, I didn’t have any profound difference with the policy
until it was decided to invade Iraq before the UN
Weapons Inspection process was finished because Hans
Blix I have a very high regard for, he was very tough on
Saddam. He was very explicit when they weren’t fully
cooperating and I thought we should get a chance to
finish.

I also always felt that Bin Laden and Al Qaeda were a far,
far bigger threat and in the early days I worried about
whether we had enough troops in Afghanistan and
whether we wouldn’t weaken our ability to stabilise
President Karzai’s regime, prevent the Taliban and some
of the opium growing warlords from resorting their,
restoring their power. So that’s kind of where I differed.

DIMBLEBY: So what you’re saying is you were
opposed to the invasion of Iraq?

CLINTON: What I am saying is I believe that we
should have led the.. I would have supported the invasion
of Iraq, whether or not we’d had UN opposition, if the UN
inspectors had finished their job and Han Blix had said
they won’t cooperate.

The point is we were there under the authority of the UN
resolution that was about the weapons inspections so I
believe that we should have let them finish. Now we are
where we are, an Amer.. you know, I’m an American first
and the minute the President wants the investigation I was
for the troops and the mission and I did believe that when
it was over we should have immediately moved to
internationalise it, finally that has been done. We’re
moving to give the sovereignty back to the Iraqis and that
we have a new UN resolution for internationalising it, I
think that they’re moving er, in the right direction now.
We still got a lot of tough days ahead, I mean, you know,
but I think basically we’re moving in the right direction
now.


|




This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?