<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 12, 2004


COMPUTER ADVICE: ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM, SPYWARE INFO, FIREWALL PROTECTION 

I'm not sure what to buy, wondering if anyone could help
How to Protect Yourself From Vandals, Viruses If You Use Windows: Personal Technology from The Wall Street Journal, by Walter S. Mossberg

I'm in the market for products to keep my computer safe. I want to make sure I have a good anti-virus program. I also want to make sure that I have the right spyware and firewall protection systems.

I read an article by Walter Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal where he had recommendations on these topics. He said,
"Curing viruses: You must run a strong antivirus program, and keep it updated, even if updates cost money. I recommend Norton AntiVirus (the stand-alone program, not the cumbersome security suite). It's very effective, and its automatic update system is the best I've ever tested. It costs $50, including a year of updates.

Stopping spyware: Since antivirus programs don't attack spyware, you will need to run, and keep updating, a separate piece of software called an antispyware program. I recommend Spy Sweeper from Webroot software, at www.webroot.com. It costs $30, including a year of updates. Like an antivirus program, it not only detects and removes spyware already on your PC, but also watches for, and blocks, new spyware.."


I went to Staples and the salesman said that shipments of both McAfee and Norton won't arrive until tomorrow. They will be sold for $89. He encouraged me to buy something called "Panda" that had the Staples logo on it and is being sold for only $69. Keeping in mind that Mossberg suggested Norton (and that I had McAfee on my law school's laptop), I told him I would consider it when I came back tomorrow to see if the McAfee and Norton shipments arrived.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest that I buy

1) Norton or
2) McAfee or
3) Panda

Also, should I just get the "stand alone" program as Mossberg suggested or should I buy the whole package containing spyware and firewall protection?

Thanks in advance for anyone's and everyone's help!!

How to Protect Yourself From Vandals, Viruses If You Use Windows: Personal Technology from The Wall Street Journal, by Walter S. Mossberg

|




This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?