Friday, June 24, 2005
DAILY 7: Dems hurt Central America, WTC anti-USA museum, George Will, Karl Rove speech text, TA's English troubles, Medical Marijuana, Rob George
1) Charles Krauthammmer: A Party Without Ideas, Democrats are hurting Central America
"You would think, therefore, that Democrats would be for CAFTA. Not so. CAFTA is in great jeopardy because Democrats have turned against it."
2) New York Daily News: 9/11 'Violated ...again' -
"Previous exhibits include a drawing of four airplanes swooping menacingly out of the sky, one of which is flying directly at a naked woman lying on her back, legs spread-eagled. The acrylic image is titled "Homeland Security."
"It's truly the most vulgar thing I have ever seen in my entire life," said Jennie Farrell, whose brother James, 26, an electrician, died on the 105th floor of the south tower."
3) Damaging 'Deference'
"During oral arguments in February, Justice Antonin Scalia distilled the essence of New London's brazen claim: "You can take from A and give to B if B pays more taxes?" Yesterday the court said that the modifier "public" in the phrase "public use" does not modify government power at all. That is the logic of the opinion written by Justice John Paul Stevens and joined by justices Anthony Kennedy, David Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer."
4) Text of Karl Rove speech to New York Conservative Party: "Why the Left is Losing"
- "Conservatives saw what happened to us on 9/11 and said we will defeat our enemies. Liberals saw what happened to us and said we must understand our enemies. Conservatives see the United States as a great nation involved in a noble cause of self-defense. Liberals are concerned with what our enemies will think of us and whether every government approves of our actions."
5) Unclear on American Campus: What the Foreign Teacher Said - New York Times - "With a steep rise in the number of foreign graduate students in the last two decades, undergraduates at large research universities often find themselves in classes and laboratories run by graduate teaching assistants whose mastery of English is less than complete.
6) Beware of the insidious medical-marijuana lobby: Officials Say Drug Raids Found "Medical Marijuana Clubs" Were a Criminal Front - "In all, a drug agency official said, the investigation yielded 18,000 marijuana plants over the two years with a wholesale value of $17 million... The affidavit said Mr. Chan estimated that only half of the people who bought medical marijuana were really sick."
7) Hey New Yorkers: Republican columnist Robert George will be performing with an Improv group this weekend at Stonestreet Studios, 48 w. 21st Street (bet. 5th and 6th), 8th Floor.
Other opinions: Daily Pundit, Explicitly Ambiguous, Martini Pundit, Andrew Roth, Club for Growth, and Pet Jawa.